Heart Attack And Right
If you have chest pain that gets worse or is triggered by physical activity or stress, and it goes away with rest, that could be angina, which is chest pain due to heart disease. Resting doesnt make a difference when its pain caused by a heart attack.
If your right-side pain is also accompanied by symptoms of dizziness, lightheadedness, or shortness of breathyou should seek medical attention immediately, as it could signify a heart attack, says Ankur Kalra MD, an interventional cardiologist at the Cleveland Clinic in Akron, Ohio.
As a reminder, these are the symptoms of a heart attack. Call 911 to get help.
- Chest pain or discomfort with pressure or tightness
- Feeling weak, lightheaded, or dizzy
- Sudden fatigue
- Pain or discomfort in the jaw, neck, or back
- Pain or discomfort in one or both arms or shoulders
- Shortness of breath
Its important to note that some women might experience different heart attack symptoms than men. Only about one-third of women have the typical heart attack symptoms, says Noel Bairey Merz, MD, director of the Barbara Streisand Womens Heart Center in the Smidt Heart Institute at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.
Other women might not have chest pain at all, and instead experience less obvious symptoms such as fatigue, indigestion, heartburn, nausea, vomiting, problems breathing, or pain in the back, neck, jaw, or throat.
What Is Aspiration Pneumonia
You’re unlikely to get it if you’re a young fit adult. It often hits children and the elderly. It can involve people living at home and people in hospital.
- Healthy adults can fight a few germs that enter the lungs from other areas of the body. It’s not surprising therefore that aspiration occurs mainly in the elderly and frail. Men are affected more than women.
- It’s fairly common. Research suggests that of all the cases of pneumonia that occur outside hospital about 1 in 10 is caused by aspiration pneumonia.
- It’s also common in children.
- It occurs frequently in hospitals, where lots of germs may be involved in causing it.
The Three Most Common Causes Of Noncardiac Chest Pain
Recommended Reading: Does Pneumonia Vaccine Make You Sick
Is Pneumonia Treated Any Differently In Children
Essentially no. Just like adults, bacterial causes of pneumonia in children may be treated with antibiotics. Antibiotics are not used to treat pneumonia caused by viruses. Flu-related pneumonia may be treated with antiviral medicine if caught early in the course of illness. Most cases of pneumonia are treated with comfort care measures that ease symptoms. These may include:
- Drinking more fluids.
- Getting more rest.
- Taking over-the-counter medicines for cough and acetaminophen for fever. Be sure to check with your healthcare provider or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns about giving medicines to your child.
- Using a cool mist humidifier in your childs room.
Other Possible Causes Of Chest Pain
There are many other potential causes of chest pain, including:
- shingles a viral infection of a nerve and the area of skin around it, which causes a painful rash that develops into itchy blisters
- mastitis pain and swelling of the breast, which is usually caused by an infection, most commonly during breastfeeding
- acute cholecystitis inflammation of the gallbladder, which can cause a sudden sharp pain in the upper right side of your tummy that spreads towards your right shoulder
- stomach ulcers a break in the lining of the stomach, which can cause a burning or gnawing pain in your tummy
- a pulmonary embolism a blockage in the blood vessel that carries blood from the heart to the lungs, which can cause sharp, stabbing chest pain that may be worse when you breathe in, as well as breathlessness, a cough and dizziness
- pericarditis inflammation of the sac surrounding your heart, which can cause a sudden, sharp and stabbing pain in your chest, or more of a dull ache the pain usually worsens when lying down
Some of these conditions can be very serious. Make sure you seek medical advice so you can be correctly diagnosed and treated.
Also Check: Do You Have A Fever When You Have Pneumonia
Who Is Most At Risk For Getting Pneumonia
People who have an increased risk of pneumonia include:
- People over the age of 65 and infants under age 2. The weakening immune system of older people makes them less able to fight off illnesses. Similarly, the immune system of infants is still developing and not at full-strength, making them more susceptible to infection.
- People with a health-caused weakened immune system. Examples include:
- People who are receiving chemotherapy
- Transplanted organ recipients
- People who have HIV/AIDS
- People with autoimmune disease and who are taking medications that suppress the immune system.
Why It Can Be Difficult To Diagnose Chest Pain On The Right Side
The chest cavity is the second-largest hollow space in the body after the abdominal cavity. Within the chest are some major players such as the heart, ribs, lungs, and esophagusas well as nerves, arteries, blood vessels, muscle, bones, and connective tissue. Thats a lot of moving parts, and the reason why pain within the chest cavity is so tricky to diagnose, Dr. Khandwalla says.
Dozens of conditions can cause chest pain on the right side. Some are directly related to the right side because an organ such as a lung is there, or it could be referred pain.
Referred pain is when you feel pain in one part of the body caused by pain from an injury or illness in another part of the body. For example, a person may have heart attack symptomssuch as pain in the jaw, neck, or backbut the source of pain originates from the heart.
If I take a hammer and smash my finger, I will feel the pain at the exact location of the injury. The same is not true of the chest due to the complexity of how the nerve fibers are arranged throughout the chest, says Dr. Khandwalla. Consequently, it is difficult to localize pain in the chest, so a problem on the left side of the chest can present itself as pain on the right side, shoulder pain, or even neck and jaw pain.
Here are a few things that can cause right-side chest pain, from relatively mild and common problems, to the more rare and serious.
You May Like: I Got A Pneumonia Shot And My Arm Is Swollen
Undiagnosed : : Pain In My Little Finger Whenever I Press Down On Something
The pain is only in my left little finger, and there is no change in appearance. The pain occurs when i do things such as press down on a guitar string, or hold the control key. The pain is only in the tip of my little finger, and goes away immediately after i release, and it seems like it may be some sort of bone bruise, as the area of sensitivity which causes the pain is relatively small. What is it and how can i get rid of it?
What Are The Signs And Symptoms Of Bacterial Versus Viral Pneumonia In Adults
Symptoms of pneumonia can range from mild sometimes called walking pneumonia to severe. How serious your case of pneumonia depends on the particular germ causing pneumonia, your overall health, and your age.
Bacterial pneumonia: Symptoms of bacterial pneumonia can develop gradually or suddenly. Symptoms include:
- High fever
Additional symptoms appearing about a day later include:
- Higher fever
- Shortness of breath
Recommended Reading: Best Things To Do When You Have Pneumonia
What To Do With Back Pain From Pneumonia
You need to control the back pain. It is not just a matter of comfort. Uncontrolled back pain from pneumonia makes it difficult to recover and also makes you vulnerable to more complications. You can start by taking some Tylenol. Ibuprofen or Naproxen can be taken on top of the Tylenol. The goal is to make your pain tolerable enough to be able to cough and take deep breaths regularly. If over-the-counter pain medications are not enough, you may have to ask your doctor for prescription pain medications to enable you to cough and take deep breaths comfortably. However, it is best to avoid opioids. They can make you drowsy and suppress your cough reflex.
When you have a severe, sharp pain in your back from pneumonia, you may avoid taking deep breaths. If you dont take deep breaths, the lower part of your lungs may collapse. A collapsed lung can worsen your pneumonia and make you more short of breath.
Taking deep breaths and coughing normally are two very important things to help you recover from pneumonia.
Chest Pain Left Side Vs Right Side
The term chest pain can describe pain anywhere in the chest, but one common question with chest pain is if there is a difference between pain in the left side of the chest and the right side of the chest. This is because people typically associate only left side chest pain with a heart attack, as most people known that is where the heart is located.
However, left side chest pain doesnt always indicate a heart issue. Nor should right side chest pain be ignored. Heart attacks cause pain all over the bodyfrom the right side of the chest, to the left side of the chest and other places on the body, like the jaw.
Chest pain on the right side of the chest rarely signifies a heart issue–but that doesnt mean that right side chest pain isnt serious. There are several reasons behind chest pains on right side, some serious and others not as serious such as:
Only available in: CA, NY, TX, FL, IL, NC, PA, OH, MI, and WA
Recommended Reading: Is Pneumonia Viral Or Bacterial
Health Complications Of Chest Pain On Right Side
You may experience other symptoms associated with chest pain on right side. It depends on the health condition or impairment related to the pain. The symptoms go away once the underlying condition is solved.
- Burning sensation coming from underneath the breastbone
- Acid reflux backed into the mouth
- Difficulty swallowing
- Breathing that is painful while lying down
- Chest pains when moving around
When To See Your Doctor
If youre worried about the pain in the right side of your chest, and its lasted more than a few days, then its time to see your doctor. Although the aches and discomfort may be caused by something mild, like acid reflux, theres also a chance that theyre resulting from something more serious, like pulmonary hypertension.
Once you know whats going on, you and your doctor can develop a plan to treat your chest pain and its underlying cause. If your chest pain persists after treatment, you should see your doctor and discuss additional treatment options.
Also Check: Home Remedies To Treat Pneumonia
Liver Gallbladder Or Pancreas Problems
These structures play a vital role in normal digestion and have other essential functions. They are located in the top of the right side of the abdomen.
Whenever someone is experiencing chest pain, regardless of the location within the chest, they should mention it to their doctor promptly.
While there are many explanations for right-sided chest pain that are not an emergency, there are some medical conditions that require urgent care.
Signs that someone needs emergency care include:
- sudden onset of severe chest pain
- crushing pain in the chest
- chest pain with shortness of breath
- pain that radiates to the jaw or arms
- chest pain accompanied by dizziness or weakness
- change in or loss of consciousness
/7you Are Suffering From Covid Pneumonia
COVID pneumonia can be a serious COVID complication that demands attention at once. Pneumonia is a complication that is caused due to inflammation in the air sacs present inside the lungs. The complication can lead to fluid buildup inside the cavity which then fuels symptoms. Debilitating chest pain, which could get more intense at nighttime can be a sign to check for.
You May Like: Can You Catch Pneumonia From A Dog
Pain On Right Side Of Abdominal Area
Appendicitis is one of the common causes of severe pain in the right lower abdomen. The appendix locates on the lower right side of your abdomen. This is a small tube of tissue that extends from your large intestine. Appendicitis refers to an inflammation of the appendix. This condition happens when the appendix gets blocked by poop or a foreign body.
Pain from appendicitis often begins in the middle right side of the abdomen and goes down to the lower right part.As the condition worsens, abdominal pain will worsen.In some cases, the pain can also radiate to your back or upper abdomen. Other symptoms of this illness include a tender and swollen lower right abdomen, chills, fever, nausea, vomiting, or changes in bowel movement habits.
Appendicitis is a life-threatening condition that requires surgery as soon as possible. When diagnosed with such a condition, your doctor may need you to follow a treatment plan at home or let you stay in the hospital for further observation.
If your case is severe, you may be asked to undergo appendectomy, a surgery done to remove the appendix. This is necessary to prevent complications, as your appendix might burst and affect the other organs surrounding it.
If youre diagnosed with appendicitis or experiencing its symptoms, refrain from taking any medications that your doctor does not prescribe. These medications might cause appendix rupture.
2. Kidney Issues
3. Liver Problems
4. Excessive Intestinal Gas
Organs On The Right Side Of The Body
The right side of the body includes several organs as below:
The lung is a significant portion of the human organ, located at the right and left sides. With the duty of transferring oxygen in and pushing the carbon dioxide out, this is one of the essential organs of the human body. While some portion of it is located on the right side of the body, the rest is left. Lung infections can cause sharp stabbing pains that may radiate to your back.
2. Right Kidney
Like the lungs, kidneys are located both on the left and the right side of the human body. The primary function of this organ is to push out all the toxins of the human body through urine.
3. Part of Liver and gallbladder
Under the ribcage on the right side of your body, a large meaty organ called the liver has the primary function of filtering all the blood from the digestive tract. Before this blood moves to the rest of the body, it is purified in the liver. The gallbladder lies under the liver that can also cause sharp pain below your ribcage.
The pancreas is located on the right side of the abdomen of a human body. The function of the pancreas is to convert all the food eaten by the human into the fuel that would charge the human body. Thus, it aids in the digestion of the food and provides the required level of sugar to the body.
5. Large intestine
7. Right fallopian tube and ovary
Other Important Organs in the Right Side:
- Gall bladder
Also Check: Tell Me About Walking Pneumonia
What Causes Aspiration Pneumonia
The basic cause is spit, bits of food or stomach contents entering the lungs. Any of these will also bring germs with them into the lungs, which sets up an infection.
There are many situations in which the risk of aspiration is increased. This includes any condition which makes you drowsy or completely unconscious, such as fits, strokes, or being under the influence of booze or drugs.
Any condition which increases the likelihood that muck will enter the lungs, like an opening between the food tube and the main airway , gum disease or acid reflux, can lead to aspiration pneumonia.
Aspiration pneumonia is caused by saliva, food or stomach acid leaking into the lungs. Germs introduced by this route set up an infection of the lung tissue, resulting in pneumonia. This is unlikely to happen if you’re a young, fit adult. However, certain factors increase the risk of getting aspiration pneumonia. These include:
- Being drowsy or unconscious – when you are awake you are continually clearing your throat to protect the lungs from inhaled saliva, drinks or bits of food. If your consciousness is reduced, the throat muscles tend to relax, increasing the risk of aspiration. This can happen if you:
- Are under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Have an anaesthetic.
- Gum disease.
- Acid reflux.
- Nasogastric feeding – feeding via a tube through the nose into the stomach. With modern nursing, this is less of a risk than it used to be,
A variety of bacteria may be involved – for example: